Make The Best 4-Ingredient Vegan “Chicken” as an easy meat alternative! This recipe is oil-free and makes 4 cups of vegan “chicken”!
- 8 oz. Extra Firm Tofu, Drained*
- 7 oz. Enoki Mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt or 1 Vegan Chicken/Vegetable Bouillon Cube**
Prep and cook the mushrooms:
- Cut the dirty ends off of the mushrooms and discard.
- Rinse the mushrooms under cold water to remove any excess dirt.
- Place the mushrooms onto a cutting board and use one hand to hold them together. Shred the mushrooms with a fork using your other hand. Continue shredding the mushrooms until all have been separated into fine hair-like strands.
- Add the mushrooms to a small frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 – 2 tbsp. of water and cook for 3 – 5 minutes or until softened and most of the liquid has evaporated. The mushrooms will look slimy and stick together. Set the cooked mushrooms aside.
Put it all together:
- Add the tofu, water, and salt to a food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape the inside of the food processor with a spatula and continue blending to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Add the vital wheat gluten and pulse a few times until just mixed.
- Add the cooked enoki mushrooms and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute to fully incorporate. Give your food processor a break every 10 seconds to avoid overheating or breaking it.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and quickly roll/knead to form a smooth ball.
- Wrap the mixture in aluminum foil twice around. Do not over-wrap the mixture or it will not cook properly and it will still be raw in the center.
Pressure cooker instructions:
- Add the wrapped seitan mixture to a pressure cooker along with 1 cup of water and steam for 15 minutes. Flip the wrapped seitan mixture over and steam for another 15 minutes. You can add the wrapped seitan mixture to a steam basket if your pressure cooker has one or place it on the bottom of the pressure cooker if you do not have one.
Stovetop pot instructions:
- Add approximately 10 cups of water to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the wrapped seitan mixture to the pot and cover with a lid. Boil for 1 hour, flipping the wrapped seitan halfway.
Cooling & Freezing:
- When the “chicken” is done cooking, let it cool at room temperature before unwrapping and placing in an airtight container in the fridge. Chill for 4 – 6 hours or overnight.
- After chilling, cut or shred the chicken and use it in your favorite recipes as you would with regular chicken. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
*Tofu: 8 oz. of tofu is approximately 1 1/8 cup, small cubed.
**Bouillon Cube: I especially love the vegan chicken bouillon cube by Edward and Sons
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes - 1 hour (depending on cooking method)
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker or Stovetop
- Cuisine: American