These healthy Mini Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookies are vegan and oil-free. These can also be made gluten-free or as 1 large skillet cookie.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Coconut Butter
- 2/3 cup Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup Aquafaba, room temperature*
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/3 cup Non-Dairy Chocolate Chips (Approximately 10 oz. bag)
- Non-Dairy Vanilla Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter
- Sliced Bananas
- Sliced Strawberries
- Additional Non-Dairy Chocolate Chips
- Non-Dairy Caramel Sauce
- Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
Prepare the cookie dough:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix to combine.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, add the aquafaba to a large bowl and beat on high until frothy (approximately 30 seconds).
- Add the coconut butter, cane sugar, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract to the large bowl with the aquafaba and mix until well combined. Optional step: I mix my wet ingredients until the sugar is dissolved for a better texture and look.
- If you’re using a hand mixer or stand mixer, switch the mixing attachment to one that is suitable for cookie dough (no longer using the whisk attachment). Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, a little at a time. Wait until the dry ingredients are mostly mixed with the wet ingredients before adding more. Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix the cookie dough.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until just combined or mix them in by hand.
- Optional step: Grease the skillet(s) with butter if desired. When I made these skillet cookies, I did not use any butter or oil to grease the skillets and there was no sticking. If you have a well seasoned cast iron skillet, then sticking is unlikely to occur.
Making the mini skillet cookies:
- Divide the cookie dough into equal parts depending on the number of skillets you have. This recipe makes enough cookie dough for approximately 3 or 4 skillets. The cast iron skillets should be approximately 6.5 – 8 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 17 – 20 minutes.
Making a large skillet cookie:
- Add all of the cookie dough to a large skillet approximately 10 – 12 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
Top and serve:
- Top with ice cream, caramel sauce, peanut butter, sliced strawberries, sliced bananas, or whatever you prefer and enjoy!
*Aquafaba: For this recipe, the aquafaba needs to be room temperature or slightly warm (not hot). If you use cold aquafaba, it will cause the coconut butter to harden and the wet ingredients will not mix properly. Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans.
- Prep Time: 5 - 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 - 30 minutes