This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the policies page for more information.
Looking for some new cooking tools? Shop my kitchen items!
Fluffy Pancakes & Loaded Tofu Scramble
When I was a kid, one of my favorite things about Sundays was that it meant pancakes. Now, as an adult, I still enjoy pancakes on the regular, although I don’t have them every Sunday.
Having pancakes for breakfast is comforting. Do you know the scene in Ratatouille where the food critic takes a bite of his food and he is instantly taken back to a memory from his childhood that makes him feel warm inside? Do you know what I’m talking about? Well that’s how I feel; same principle…..but about pancakes.
Below is my recipe for a simple vegan breakfast complete with fluffy pancakes and an easy tofu scramble. Both of these foods make great additions to any Sunday morning (or anytime ever).
I wish you the best of luck in your pancake endeavors.
- 1 Cup Flour
- 3 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Cup Applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 3/4 Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- 1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
Veggie Tofu Scramble Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 5 Medium Cremini Mushrooms
- 1 (14 oz.) Package Firm Tofu
- Veggie Sausage by LightLife
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Pepper
- A Handful of Fresh Spinach (About 1 Cup)
Optional Scramble Toppings:
- Shredded Vegan Cheddar Cheese by Daiya
- Chopped Green Onion
- Avocado Slices
- For pancake batter, start by adding dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl and mix together until well incorporated.
- In the same bowl add applesauce, sugar, melted coconut oil, non-dairy milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated and a thick batter forms. If the batter feels too thick, add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk or water and mix. Set bowl aside or in fridge to move on to cutting vegetables for the tofu scramble.
- For the tofu scramble, start by mincing the garlic, dicing the bell pepper, and slicing the mushrooms.
- Once vegetables are cut and prepped, place a non-stick pan over low to medium heat and add oil or non-dairy butter for pancakes. At the same time place another non-stick pan or skillet over medium heat and add oil for tofu scramble.
- Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup of pancake batter on to designated pancake pan and allow to cook until bubbles have formed and began bursting before flipping (about 1-3 minutes per side). Continue this process until pancake batter is gone.
- At the same time, and in the other pan, allow oil to heat up for a few seconds before adding the mushroom and bell pepper. Cook and stir around the bell pepper and mushrooms until the pepper starts to feel a little firm and the mushrooms have just started to cook down a bit on the outside.
- Next add in crumbled tofu and cook for a minute or two, stirring often.
- Add in the vegan veggie sausage (optional), stir, and cook for another minute.
- Add in minced garlic and stir everything together allowing the scramble to cook for another 1-2 minutes. You can break up some of the tofu pieces with your spatula if they are too big.
- Check bell peppers to see if they are done cooking and, if so, turn off heat. If the vegetables are not done cooking then continue to cook for another few minutes then turn off heat when ready.
- With the heat off, stir in turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Once the seasoning is well mixed in, add in spinach and stir until it has completely wilted.
- Add toppings of your choice (non-dairy cheese, avocado, hot sauce, etc.) to the scramble and serve alongside pancakes with pancake toppings of choice (fresh fruit, syrup, etc.). Enjoy!
Want more breakfast recipes? Check out my Gingerbread Donuts recipe!