This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the policies page for more information.
Looking for some new cooking tools? Shop my kitchen items!
This One-Pan Baked Vegan Macaroni & Cheese recipe is also oil-free and can be easily made gluten-free. This recipe takes just 30 minutes to make and requires only 11 ingredients.
Simple Step-By-Step for Making One-Pan Baked Vegan Macaroni & Cheese
- To make this recipe, start by adding coconut milk and flour to the pan and whisking to combine. As the mixture starts to heat and bubble, whisk in non-dairy milk.
- Next add the water, spices, and pasta and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer until the pasta is cooked.
- Make the bread crumb mixture and sprinkle on top of the macaroni then place in the oven to bake.
The Importance of Using Quality Coconut Milk
When it comes to choosing a coconut milk there are a few important factors to pay attention to. For starters, whether or not the coconut milk contains a thickening agent such as guar gum or xanthum gum is a key difference that will set quality coconut milk and poor coconut milk apart. I prefer to use coconut milk that does not contain a thickening agent. The reason I do this is because when manufacturers add a thickening agent, that’s usually to make up for the large amount of water within the can. If the coconut milk does not contain a thickening agent, that’s typically because there is enough coconut or coconut extract within the can. The more coconut or coconut extract within the can means the more natural coconut fat will be in the can and it’s less likely to need a thickening agent.
Quick Notes & Tips
- Keep in mind that using certain types of gluten-free pasta (such as chickpea pasta) may require less cook time. I tested this recipe with both chickpea and regular pasta. The chickpea pasta required only 8 minutes of cook time while simmering. The regular pasta required 10 minutes of cook time while simmering. The package instructions should tell you how long to cook the pasta for.
- Give the pasta a quick stir after simmering to make sure it isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Set the oven to broil if you want to speed up the timing for the crumb topping to crisp. I would recommend checking it after the first 5 minutes then every minute after that to make sure it doesn’t burn or completely dry out your macaroni.
Products for this Recipe (Sold through Amazon)Print
Want more dinner recipes? Check out my recipe for Lemon Pasta with Mushrooms and Asparagus!