This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the policies page for more information.
Looking for some new cooking tools? Shop my kitchen items!
This breaded buffalo tofu recipe is vegan and can be easily made gluten-free! Make crispy buffalo tofu strips, bites, or nuggets in the oven or air fryer; no oil needed!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Buffalo Tofu Recipe
- This recipe is perfect for meal prepping
- You can make these crispy baked buffalo tofu strips in the oven or air-fryer
- This recipe is vegan, oil-free, and consists of just 9 ingredients
- These buffalo tofu strips can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free starch/flour and breadcrumbs
- This recipe comes with an easy vegan ranch recipe to go perfectly with these buffalo tofu strips
- Firm, Extra Firm, or Super Firm Tofu
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Buffalo/Hot Sauce
- Plain Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
How to Make This Easy Buffalo Tofu Recipe
- To make this easy buffalo tofu recipe, start by cutting the tofu into strips and pressing the liquid out between clean kitchen towels.
- Mix together the flour, spices, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the breadcrumbs to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the milk to a bowl and set aside.
- Place the tofu strips into the flour and seasoning mixture and evenly coat. Next, add the tofu strips to the milk and evenly coat. Lastly, add the tofu strips to the breadcrumbs and cover completely.
- Place the breaded tofu strips onto a baking sheet pan and cook for 20 minutes.
- Brush the breaded tofu strips with buffalo sauce and cook for another 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Air Fryer
- Place the breaded tofu strips into the air fryer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Brush the breaded tofu strips with buffalo sauce and cook for another 5 minutes or until crispy.
Freezing and Reheating
Freezing: I like to make a big batch of these tofu strips on a sheet pan in the oven and then let them cool completely before freezing them. For best results, place the tofu strips in an air-tight freezer-safe container or resealable bag. If you plan on placing them into a container, put parchment paper between the tofu strips to prevent sticking.
Reheating: For reheating in the oven, preheat to 450°F and cook for 10 – 15 minutes on a baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper. For reheating in the air fryer, place the tofu strips into the air fryer basket and cook for 5 – 7 minutes at 400°F.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Check out a few others below!
Substitutions for Making Buffalo Tofu
- Tofu: For this recipe, you can use either firm, extra firm, or super firm tofu.
- Starch/Flour: I tested this recipe with several different types of starch/flour. The below types will work for this recipe:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- Corn Starch
- Arrowroot Starch/Flour/Powder
- Tapioca Starch/Flour
- Spelt Flour
- Plain Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk: I tested this recipe using almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, and coconut milk and all have worked just fine. I imagine other types of non-dairy milk will work for this recipe as well, however I have not tested any other types.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: You can use gluten-free or regular bread crumbs for this recipe.
- Buffalo Sauce: For this recipe, you can use buffalo sauce or hot sauce (not salsa).
Quick Tips for Best Results
- Press the tofu: This is a crucial step to make sure the tofu becomes crispy and the breading sticks.
- Flip the tofu: For more even cooking and crispier tofu, flip the tofu halfway through cooking.
- Second bake: After adding the buffalo sauce to the tofu strips, bake the tofu in the oven or air fryer again to make it extra crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What should I have with breaded buffalo tofu?
This recipe goes great with a salad and a side of ranch! You can also put the tofu strips in a veggie wrap or on a veggie sandwich.
- Do I have to use corn starch for this recipe?
No. You can use any of the other mentioned alternatives such as all-purpose flour, gluten-free all-purpose flour, arrowroot starch/powder/flour, tapioca starch/flour, or spelt flour.
- Do I have to make tofu strips from this recipe?
No. You can also make buffalo tofu bites or nuggets with this recipe by cutting the tofu into smaller cubes.
- Can this recipe be made gluten-free?
Yes. You can use gluten-free all-purpose flour and gluten-free panko bread crumbs.
Products for this recipe (Sold through Amazon)Print